While Patagonia is famous for its stunning landscapes, including glaciers, mountains, and national parks, skiing is a not-that-famous activity. However, there are some nice ski areas in the Andes Mountains of Argentina and Chile. In this article, I tell you all about to ski in Patagonia.
Read more: The best ski hotels in Patagonia listed
Ski in Patagonia – Argentina
Argentina offers several ski resorts in the Andes Mountains, primarily in the regions of Patagonia and Mendoza. Some of the popular ski destinations in Argentina are:
- Cerro Catedral: Located near San Carlos de Bariloche in northern Patagonia, Cerro Catedral is one of the largest and most famous ski resorts in Argentina. It offers a wide range of slopes and amenities for skiers and snowboarders. All kinds of slopes from green to black. In my opinion one of the best ski in Patagonia.
- Cerro Chapelco: Situated in the Neuquén Province of Patagonia, Cerro Chapelco is known for its beautiful alpine setting and varied terrain suitable for different skill levels.
- Cerro Castor: Found at the southern tip of Argentina, near Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego, Cerro Castor is the southernmost ski resort in the world. It’s known for its unique location and excellent snow conditions.
- La Hoya: Located near Esquel in Patagonia, La Hoya offers diverse slopes and stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Cerro Perito Moreno: Situated close to El Bolsón in Patagonia, this resort is known for its laid-back atmosphere and great backcountry skiing opportunities.
- Las Leñas: Located in the Mendoza Province, Las Leñas is one of the most renowned ski destinations in Argentina. It boasts a variety of challenging slopes and is well-known among international skiers.
- Cerro Bayo: Near the town of Villa La Angostura in Patagonia, Cerro Bayo offers beautiful scenery and a range of slopes suitable for different levels of skiers.
- Cerro La Angostura: Also in the Neuquén Province, Cerro La Angostura is a smaller ski resort with a relaxed atmosphere, making it suitable for families and beginners.
Ski in Patagonia – Chile
- Valle Nevado: One of the largest and most famous ski resorts in Chile, Valle Nevado is located near Santiago, the capital city. It offers a wide range of slopes and modern amenities, making it a popular choice for both beginners and experienced skiers.
- Portillo: Situated a bit further from Santiago, Portillo is known for its stunning mountain scenery and challenging terrain. It’s one of the oldest and most iconic ski resorts in South America.
- La Parva: Located close to Valle Nevado and also near Santiago, La Parva is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and diverse slopes suitable for different skill levels.
- El Colorado: Adjacent to La Parva and Valle Nevado, El Colorado is another popular ski resort offering a mix of slopes and a lively après-ski scene.
- Nevados de Chillán: This resort, also known as Termas de Chillán, is located in southern Chile and is famous for its hot springs in addition to its skiing and snowboarding opportunities.
- Antillanca: Found in the Lake District of Chile, near the town of Osorno, Antillanca offers a unique skiing experience in a beautiful natural setting.
- Pucon: Another resort in the Lake District, Pucon is renowned for its outdoor activities, including skiing and snowboarding during the winter months.
- Corralco: Situated on the slopes of the Lonquimay Volcano, Corralco offers a more remote and serene skiing experience.